yet another gnome-lib problem!

okay. after removing stale .deps and reinstalling gettext to remove that
libintl.h problem. i was cursed with yet another problem, sh: convert: no
such file or command, to this i downloaded image magick and tried to
compile yet the compile failed because of missing zlibs. i can reinstall
the zlibs but my question is.. Can I make gnome-libs not find libz? It
causes so many problems. I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me out
that's gone trhough this problem.. It's so annoying .. but it'll be worth
it.

 - Christoph