Gnome Died with Debian Slink

System: Debian 2.x Slink, X-windows, Gnome .30, these are slink based
packages.

I let dselect upgrade my x-windows (slink).  Now, x-windows and gnome
are dead.

I uninstalled gnome, uninstalled x-windows, reinstalled x-windows and
reinstalled gnome.  I can get x-windows running using xinit (but not
startx) but gnome is dead.

Previously gnome gave some errors about lib*.so.2 and I had lib*.so.3
so I created a link for the files it was complaining about.  Still no
luck.

I'm stumped.  Any ideas?

chris

-----.xsession-errors file-------
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Failed to open input method
SESSION_MANAGER=local/cwood:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2797,tcp/cwood:2102
Gdk-Message: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Gdk-Message: can not set locale modifiers

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_type_create(): type `GtkCalendarDisplayOptions'
already exists.

** ERROR **: file gnometypes.c: line 30 (gnome_type_init): assertion
failed: (type_id != GTK_TYPE_INVALID)
aborting...
xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server
":0.0"

-----
Chris Wood
cwood@xmission.com