Re: gnome guru

Begin forwarded message:

>Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:49:13 -0600 (CST)
>From: Havoc Pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu>
>Subject: Re: gnome guru
>
>On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Andrew S. Townley wrote:
>>
>> In my expierence working with "wizard-like" things, there are usually things
>> like OnSetActive() and OnKillActive() so verification of data can be done by
>> each "page".
>
>Guru lets you (de)sensitize the next/prev buttons, each page is
>responsible for doing this. Does that achieve the same thing?
>I'm not sure I unsertand exactly what these methods do...

Now it's my turn to not know what you're talking about with (de)sensitize... :)
The purpose of the OnSetActive() and OnKillActive() methods is to allow the
page to control what happens when the page becomes active (is displayed) or
is about to be hidden.  This allows you to enable/disable controls based on
data values in OnSetActive() and allows validation of page data in
OnKillActive().  If the validation of the data fails, it allows the page
change not to happen so that if you display a dialog that says "you lose!",
the user remains in the context of where the error takes place.  It also
allows you to disable the back/next buttons (now we're getting MS-specific,
but the concept is the same...) when the user activates the page.  You'd do
this on the first page (disable or hide the back button) or if you had to
require data before the user could advance to the next page.  This is also
(one way) how you change the next to a finish button on the final page.

So what did you mean? :)

ast