Re: KDE

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Danne Lundqvist wrote:

> There is much talk about KDE and Gnome interaction
> on the kde-lists. What is your opinion on this topic?

I can't offer the Official View, but I think the main thing is to agree on
window manager hints, IDL interfaces, and other inter-application
communication. I guess getting Mico and ORBit talking would be a first
step, or convert KDE to ORBit (probably possible once the C++ bindings are
finished, they are on CVS in a half-finished state).

Gnome is probably going to have a nice CORBA-based configuration system,
it would be nice to have it work with KDE; some preferences (like
desktop background, for example) should be shared. If both systems talk to
the config IDL, it should be possible.

Another idea is a Qt theme for Gtk, so Gtk apps look at home on the KDE
desktop. When Qt has themes, vice versa would also be nice of course.

> Some people spoke about using the imlib would be the
> first step towards this.

This would add features to KDE, but it would have no effect at all on how
the two interoperate (except that it might make them a little more
consistent, i.e. both become colormap friendly...)

Havoc