Re: gnome developer docs - not sgml

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Andrew S. Townley wrote:

> Yep.  Everything does pretty much eventually work, however.  I gave up on
> all the stuff that required libgtop.  I'm really kinda surprised it doesn't
> have drop-in support for existing "top" modules, but I guess I can understand
> it.

If you've ever looked at how "top" works on a conventional unix system,
then you will understand why libgtop would have a hard time working on
them.  It is very disgusting and involves being suid, opening /dev/kmem, etc.
Actually, given your informix address, you might know of these issues.
Regardless, it would be much more work to get those utils ported to Sun
than it was to get the written in the first place, and so they do not seem
like a win to me.  That said, if anyone wanted to give it a shot, then
I am sure that patches would be welcome.

> Several other little things like the mouse capplet don't work--and the
> properties stuff gives a whole slew of errors about unsupported xset options.
>  Now, I'm not using the latest X11R6, I'm just using the
> out-of-the-box-but-patched-to-last-march Solaris 2.5.1 :)

Is openwin still X11R5 on Solaris?  You could probably get the mouse capplet
to detect the version of xset and emit the appropriate commands based on
what it discoverd, non?  That sounds like a doable fix...

--
Todd Graham Lewis            32°49'N,83°36'W          (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net