Compiling from CVS, syntax error!

What I am experiencing is probably not a problem with
gnome or gtk. I have been searching the web _alot_ for
a solution but none came up that worked for me. I run
linux 2.0.35, a newly installed RedHat 5.1. I have
the required versions of GNU automake, autoconf and
libtool. I've actually installed everything from scratch
on an empty box just to be able to learn programming
gnome.

I've checked out all new sources. I get no error when
compiling glib. When I run configure (or autogen.sh) for
gtk+ (or any other package) I get the following error:

(lots of )
warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling

./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 581: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-define)'

Thanks, Danne