Re: gnome developer docs - not sgml

> The claim is that it is to be portable everywhere.  Except that the claim is
> only valid for systems that have the entire circularly-referential GNU suite
> installed, and we've been told that that is how it is going to stay.

Where is this circularly-referential GNU suite required?  Can you be
specific?

Oh, and please, do not start a naming flamewar on this list.  If you
want to do so, go to some advocacy newsgroup.

> So it doesn't work on Solaris but does on "GNU/Solaris" which has
> all the GNU packages loaded.  (We're still trying to figure out if
> there are any GNUish packages that *don't* have to be installed for
> it to work.)

The dependencies are: db (not GNU), and various image manipulation
libraries (xpm, gif, png, tiff, jpeg, and last time I checked none of
those were GNU libraries).

It is not our fault that proprietary operating systems like to ship
the stat of the art unix of 1980.  Repeat after me: it is not our
fault.

Miguel.