Re: gnome developer docs - not sgml

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Gnomers -- SGML might be a great development format, but foisting _yet
> another_ document format on the world involves much pain.

SGML is not a document format, it's a development format intended to
generate a number of different document formats. You can't read SGML
directly (well, it involves pain).

SGML is the "source code" for the docs; autogenerated files aren't in CVS,
only source (e.g., configure scripts aren't in CVS).

(BTW, DocBook is not yet another format; it's been around for a while and
is something of an industry standard, e.g. Sun uses it for manuals.)

> It would most cool if all SGML docs were converted into HTML or similar
> and put on an FTP or Web site.

That would be neat, I don't know what would be involved.

Havoc