Re: CVS compilation problems...

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Jan Gentsch wrote:

> Richard Hult wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 20:29:26 Jason A. Pfeil wrote:
> > > Hello.  I am trying to compile gnome from CVS, however, when I try to run
> > > ./autogen.sh in most of the directories, it complains that the directory
> > > macros doesn't exist.  This is from a clean CVS download, and the
> > > directory wasn't part of what came in the checkout.
> >
> > Try to checkout CVSROOT first and checkout the other modules again after
> > that. I don't know if update is enough, I think you have to checkout.
> >

> This problem has been floating around for some time now. Just must do a
> _checkout_ on the package you are trying to get  once up front. Afterwards you
> can do updates. Maybe this should go into FAQ.
> Jan.

It is in the FAQ.  Section 4.2, "How do I get GNOME from CVS?" directs
people to checkout, not update.  It is also in the CVS documentation.

Those of you who have access to a printer, I strongly recommend printing
out the CVS manual ("Version Management with CVS"), I find it quite
useful.  The postscript version is in RedHat's cvs package (in
/usr/doc/cvs-whatever/cvs.ps), and it should also be in the tarball.

As for the initial problem, I sometimes find the macros directory missing
when I do a fresh checkout.  The macros directory is set up as a &module,
and the anonymous CVS server seems to occasionally forget to include it.
I find it handy to keep a copy of the gnome-common module fairly up to
date, so I can copy the directory out of there if it goes missing.

-Gleef