Re: shared libs and mico-2.0.5

On Sun, 31 May 1998 vanco@sonic.net wrote:
> On Sun, 31 May 1998, Michael Hudson wrote:
>
> I am currently using these packages:
> ii  g++             2.90.28-0.1    The GNU (egcs) C++ compiler.
> ii  libg++272       2.7.2.8-0.1    The GNU C++ libraries (libc6 version).
>
> now.... umm... I see what my problem might be. I am running a 486 and I
> think egcs is a pentium optimizing compiler? Could someone who knows more
> than me tell me this?

No, those should work fine (I have egcs 2.90.29 release 1.03, but 1.0.2
worked as well). I do have a pentium II but that shouldn't be a problem;
the pentium optimising compiler is called pgcc, and besides the code it
generates still runs on older processors (I think).
Besides does anything else compile/configure? If it's just mico then try
downloading it again, otherwise something is clearly wrong somewhere.

> 	Now, I do not know what exception handling is, but i know what an
> exception is, so with intuition I can tell its a bad thing if it is
> broken. However, shared libs scares me more. My shared library system
> works fine. I don't know why it can't get that or dynamic loading.
>
> Help! ;)  Perhaps I'll downgrade to g++ 2.7.2.

I don't know a great deal about shared libraries so I can't really help
you here I'm afraid.
Maybe you want to reinstall egcs? Did you compile it yourself or get a
binary? (Not that that should make a difference).
Did it work with gcc 2.7.2.3?

Michael Hudson
Jesus College
Cambridge