Re: NeXTGtk ?

This is a bit of a radical idea, and maybe a little difficult to do, but
here it goes:

Would it be possible to have GTK recognize when a single menu has run more
than, say, a dozen lines?  If a menu did, then could it break off into a
separate list box?  I am thinking of LONG single lists here, like all the
countries in the world, states in the U.S., or fonts on your system, i.e.
ones not usually split by a separator bar. For example, if you had a font
list, rather than:

--------------
|Fonts     >|-----------
|           |Font1     |
|           |Font2     |
|           |Font3     |
|etc ad nauseum...     |

You could have:
--------------
|Fonts ...   |

And then a separate box pop up.  This is a bit of a departure from
previous UI conventions, but it might work.

What might work a little better is if in the code, it said "Okay, this
is a dynamically generated list [like fonts or GIMP plugins] and it has
the potential to run over 12 lines.  If it does, split it off into a box."
Then, the programmer is left to honor and intelligence not to design menus
bigger a doable size.  It doesn't prevent stupidity blatant, but then
again, nothing in programming does....

                  Soren Harward
Assistant Sysadmin/Tech Support - Cinternet, Inc.
   Voice: 891-1228         soren@cinternet.net
        http://www.cinternet.net/~soren/

Windows 95/98 DOES come with a tool that lets you
rebuild a corrupted Registry.  It's called FDISK.