Re: NeXTGtk ?

I like this idea, though it might indeed be hard to implement.
It would only really work, IMHO, for attribute setting (like fonts) rather
than actions such as choosing a plugin.
Another idea would be to attach scrollbars to long menus, but that might
end up being an interface monstrosity...
The only real problem is with lists that can grow without bound, like open
documents or fonts.
The proposed solution could be implemented now for fonts, as the number of
fonts available does not change at run time, so a decision on presentation
could be made at startup, although GTK+ support would obviously make it
easier, and more widespread.
Whilst I'm rambling, it occurs to me that these scrolling lists that would
hypothetically pop up would have to be persistent, because otherwise it
would be _really_ annoying to have to go through a dialog box to flick
through different views or revisions of a document. Something akin to the
tear-off menus in WindowMaker would be great.
Now I'm really heading off at a tangent, but wouldn't it be great to have
a palatte in the Gimp where you can store you favourite scripts/plug-ins
and activate them with a simple double-click? I hate grubbing around in
three levels of menu to get to the plug-in I want...
I'll stop now.

Michael Hudson
Jesus College
Cambridge