Re: Bugs & Probs with the panel.

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Keith Wright wrote:

> Delete the file?
> Yes/No
> Thumbup/Thumbdown
>
> How many think Thumbdown means kill it?

It's not just an icon, it also says Yes/No.
Delete the File?
No.

That does not mean to delete the file. OTOH I can see that thumbdown might
mean "kill," maybe. But red might mean that too.

> Better to custom label the buttons:
> Delete the file?
> Delete/Keep

Nah, this is yucky IMO because everyone will do it a different way and you
can never learn to respond to the dialog quickly and automatically, you
always have to read the darn thing. Esp. without icons. We have enough
consistency problems without this.

Consistent, distinctive buttons (made more so with icons) are fast and
easy to read, once you learn them. Since there are only about 5 stock
buttons, the learning curve is short.

However, I can see this if it is done in a standard way. Perhaps we should
do this anyway. It might be nice to have standard dialogs for:
- Delete file
- Overwrite file
- You have unsaved data. Are you sure you want to quit?
etc.

Not to mention GnomeFileSelection and GnomeColorSelection (the dialog, not
the menu thingy), but those are hard.

Well, I don't know. As long as every app does it the same, it's fine.
Rule: Innovation should always go in the libraries. ;-)

Havoc Pennington ==== http://pobox.com/~hp