Re: GNOME GTK-- Projects

Erik Andersen <andersen@inconnect.com> writes:
> And of course, Gtk-- _still_ has the stupid menufactory
> bug which means you cant hook anything up to the menus you create other
> then argumentless callbacks (which still give a warning)...  And there is no
> exception handling in gtk--.  So for instance if you do something like:

[example snipped off]
> the underlying Gtk+ function will complain to stderr using g_warning,
> but there is absolutly no way for your application program to know
> that something bad happened and do something intelligent.  It would
> be nice to wrap stuff like this with:
>
> try {
> }
> catch (GTTKMM_Exception error) {
> 	// Handle things
> }

Damn, This is a good idea. Maybe we can get support for this to
gtk1.1, if it does not exists already in gtk. It does take a long time
until we can really use it to do applications(1.0 gtk will be standard
for a LONG time), but better late than never. (well, thank god
compilers have poor support for exceptions too, so we cannot really
use it yet either - or at least there needs to be way to disable it..)

> but there doesn't seem to be any way to implement this, since Gtk+ doesn't
> seem to report errors anywhere except to stderr (i.e. no customizable error
> handler function) to do this...  Really unfortunate...  All in all I really
> like Gtk-- (I'm using it and contributing, arn't I?), but it still needs
> volunteer work and it is limited by the underlying Gtk+ library.  The author
> has always been courteous and helpful and very receptive to contributions,
> so folks, please contribute!

We can always change gtk. (== submit patches..)

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --