Beginner menu configuation/panel usage questions

How can I add items to the footprint menu of executables?  I can't
find information about how to do that anywhere?  It is probably
so obvious...

I want to use WindowMaker applets inside my gnome panel.  Can you tell
me how?

Here's why. Some WM applets are so far superior to the gnome ones you
would not believe it. I've watched all this debate about the disk usage
applet and now I see it with the newest gnome.  It is not nearly as
useful as the WMMOUNT applet for WindowMaker.  If you have not seen it,
you ought to check it out.  It shows an icon of the device, the
device's name, a disk usage indicator in numeric form: "95%" and it has
buttons to mount/unmount that item or to change to the next device.
That is much more useful than the disk usage item in gnome, which shows
bars so small I can't see what they indicate (even on 17" screen) and
there are no labels to tell me which
device they refer to.

The modemindocator applet in gnome seems odd to me. If you have the
panel on the left side, that applet insists on being vertical and
occupying a lot of space.  In Windowmaker, I use an applet called WMPPP
that has a terriffic display.

It seems to me the panel in Gnome is largely/totally duplicating the
WindowMaker Dock, so if I ever make the move 100% into Gnome, I won't
use a dock any more. That's another reason why I want to swallow WM
applets into the panel.

--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn@ukans.edu
University of Kansas                  Office: (913) 864-9086