Re: mico-2.0.5

On Sat, 23 May 1998, Josh Sled wrote:

>| > Still I get the error. My swap partition is only 22mb, I know that is
>| > very little.
>|
>| there is your problem .. compiling mico takes very long and it eats
>| waaaay too much memory (I think about 80-90 meg for intel) ... the
>| compilation of heavy templated program will almost allways have such a
>| problem, try to get one of the precompiled binaries ... or make a
>| temporary swapfile
>
>I [32Mb, 55MB swap] had to compile it on a bigger-dicked FreeBSD machine
>which I luckily have access to...

i used to take me forever to compile mico cause i had 16 core/64 swap...
the swapping was killing it.  as soon as cc1plus got above about 10-11mb,
the swapping would start and CPU time for compiling dropped to just above
zero.  yesterday i stopped by computer city and picked up 128mb of ram for
$200.  pretty cheap these days... btw, i don't have a box with 128mb of
ram in it, i've got two with 64mb each.

i don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that we, as software
developers, should have those kinds of resources.  compiling _does_ take
megaflops and megabytes, and generally a lot of both.  with memory being
so cheap, (32mb edo simm == about 50 US dollars) expanding the available
swap space should probably only be a week or two or three's long
workaround until you can find to time to get down to the hardware store.
this is the difference between a 'workaround' and a 'solution'.  adding
swap space is now, has always been, and will always be a workaround
(except perhaps under rare and peculiar circumstances).  adding ram is a
solution.  considering that i quadrupled my ram yesterday for 100 bucks
per machine, it's a pretty practical solution, too.

nate