Re: Device (un)mount applet

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Zack> I also seem to remember some utilities floating around that
> Zack> allow the physical ejection of Zip disks, CDROM drives, and
> Zack> Sparc floppies - it would be a very good idea to use these.
>
> My Linux box has an "eject" command.  As I recall, so does SunOS.
>
> Zack> Any thoughts on automounting drives?
>
> Some OSs can do this already.  I seem to recall that my Linux box used
> to do this before I upgraded the OS; I haven't tried to reconfigure it
> that way since then.
>
> I don't like autorun.
>
> These things seem to be properties of some layer lower than the
> desktop environment.

Sort of.  I'll bet that the way that it works in windows is that
explorer.exe waits for a change on the CD.  When it sees a change it
will try to run a program in the autostart directory.

Automounting and unmounting are different, yes.  Solaris has this with
their volume mounting daemon.  I think there's one for Linux out there
somewhere too.

--Chris

--

Christopher Blizzard