Re: A Proposal For The Addition Of Color-Reactiveness To The GNOME Desktop

raster@redhat.com wrote:

> On 20 May, Tom Tromey shouted:
> ->  >>>>> "Raj" == Raj Dutt <rdutt@voxel.net> writes:
> ->
> ->  Raj> Firstly, I think putting the responsiblity with the window
> ->  Raj> manager is a good thing (tm).
> ->
> ->  Why?
> ->
> ->  My first reaction whenever I see a proposal to put something into the
> ->  wm is to reject it.  My reason is that there are many window managers,
> ->  and everybody has his own preference.  It's better to keep wm
> ->  requirements as small as possible, and put extended functionality into
> ->  a new program.
>
> well how you expect to display this information in the border of a
> window, titlebar or in the icon of an iconified window beats me if you
> aren't going to use the WM... :) We could clutter up the panel and use
> corba and shit.. oh joy! WATCH the bloat as everypone needs to write c++
> wrappers for their code just to talk to mico. :)

exactly my point. Glad you agree with me. The best idea about the color reactiveness
thing imho is when you iconify an app, the small beacon in the upper left corner
shows the status. I cannot think of a cleaner way to implement such functionality
than via the WindowManager. I suppose it would be possible, but it would be VERY
messy.

> For some people, like me, the panel is a temporary fix until I get my
> buttons, strips and stripjoints up and running in E. Once that happens
> It's use will become redundant and it can cease eating up skads of
> useful screen realestate. :)

hmm... could you elaborate a bit more on how e14s "buttons..strips..etc" will be
like and how they will be gnomified to provide a real alternative to the panel... I
always thought that if there was a fundamental part of gnome as of today (since
there is no gnome compliant WM as of yet).. would be the panel

> ->  Then we have control over the program, and we also don't require a
> ->  weird setup.
> ->
> ->  Think of it like requiring something to be added to everybody's text
> ->  editor, or everybody's mail reader.  It just doesn't happen.
>
> Maybe things are changing compared to how thingsa used to be written..
> u'll be surprised. 2 WM's already are putting this in - and its less
> than 48hrs later :)

The functionality should be there.This is a relatively small thing that has a large
"cool factor" as well as a fairly big practicality appeal.
My philosophy is PUT IT IN and let THE USER DECIDE ;)