Re: A Proposal For The Addition Of Color-Reactiveness To The GNOME Desktop

On 22 May, Raj Dutt shouted:
->
->
->  raster@redhat.com wrote:
->
->  > On 20 May, Tom Tromey shouted:
->  > ->  >>>>> "Raj" == Raj Dutt <rdutt@voxel.net> writes:
->  > ->
->  > ->  Raj> Firstly, I think putting the responsiblity with the window
->  > ->  Raj> manager is a good thing (tm).
->  > ->
->  > ->  Why?
->  > ->
->  > ->  My first reaction whenever I see a proposal to put something into the
->  > ->  wm is to reject it.  My reason is that there are many window managers,
->  > ->  and everybody has his own preference.  It's better to keep wm
->  > ->  requirements as small as possible, and put extended functionality into
->  > ->  a new program.
->  >
->  > well how you expect to display this information in the border of a
->  > window, titlebar or in the icon of an iconified window beats me if you
->  > aren't going to use the WM... :) We could clutter up the panel and use
->  > corba and shit.. oh joy! WATCH the bloat as everypone needs to write c++
->  > wrappers for their code just to talk to mico. :)
->
->  exactly my point. Glad you agree with me. The best idea about the color reactiveness
->  thing imho is when you iconify an app, the small beacon in the upper left corner
->  shows the status. I cannot think of a cleaner way to implement such functionality
->  than via the WindowManager. I suppose it would be possible, but it would be VERY
->  messy.
->
->  >
->  >
->  > For some people, like me, the panel is a temporary fix until I get my
->  > buttons, strips and stripjoints up and running in E. Once that happens
->  > It's use will become redundant and it can cease eating up skads of
->  > useful screen realestate. :)
->
->  hmm... could you elaborate a bit more on how e14s "buttons..strips..etc" will be
->  like and how they will be gnomified to provide a real alternative to the panel... I

what do they need gnomification? do u expect every E user suddenyl to
require all of gnome to run E? no.  they will happily live in a world
of their oen - they will be configurable purely by drag and drop, and
internal E widget systems. E has had an "applet" system in 0.14 for
several months now.. :) it's a lot less overhead than corba.. just good
old swallowing of apps - but in a special way.. :) it's part of E's IPC.

You wint get these without running E - it's an internal function as part
of the WM's services to help control your desktop.

->  always thought that if there was a fundamental part of gnome as of today (since
->  there is no gnome compliant WM as of yet).. would be the panel

sure - I'm not against that for others.. just me personally.. I just
don't go for the "taskbar" thing (which is what the panel is - big long
bar ont he bottom, top, or side of the screen usng lots of reslestate
for nothing much useful and getting in the way all the time).

->  > ->  Then we have control over the program, and we also don't require a
->  > ->  weird setup.
->  > ->
->  > ->  Think of it like requiring something to be added to everybody's text
->  > ->  editor, or everybody's mail reader.  It just doesn't happen.
->  >
->  > Maybe things are changing compared to how thingsa used to be written..
->  > u'll be surprised. 2 WM's already are putting this in - and its less
->  > than 48hrs later :)
->
->  The functionality should be there.This is a relatively small thing that has a large
->  "cool factor" as well as a fairly big practicality appeal.
->  My philosophy is PUT IT IN and let THE USER DECIDE ;)
->
->  >
->  >
->  > ->
->  > ->  Tom
->  > ->
->  > ->
->  >
->  > --
->  > --------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
->  > raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com
->  > Carsten Haitzler           | _ //__\\ __||_ __\\ ___|| _ /  Red Hat Advanced
->  > 218/21 Conner Drive        || // __ \\_ \ | |   \ _/_|| /   Development Labs
->  > Chapel Hill NC 27514 USA   ||\\\/  \//__/ |_|   /___/||\\   919 547 0012 ext 282
->  > +1 (919) 929 9443, 801 4392   For pure Enlightenmenthttp://www.rasterman.com/
->