Re: Debian installation of gnome?

robert havoc pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:

> Whew, those packages are reeeeaaallly old.
>
> I wish there was a Debian maintainer. With Gnome and the Debian files in
> CVS, perhaps there could be different maintainers for different parts of
> Gnome to share the load. How much time would it take to figure out how to
> package something like Gnome?

It would be a bit of work.  I've thought about it, but I'm too busy
with emacs20, making a package for Stalin (an extremely interesting
optimizing Scheme compiler), and handling my other stuff, so I don't
think I'll volunteer.

I installed gnome on my (Debian unstable i.e. slink) system by getting
the latest CVS snapshot of gnome-libs and gnome-core.  As I recall, if
it's useful, here's how I think I got it to work...

1) Get the latest cvs gnome-libs snapshot (see www.gnome.org for details).
2) Make sure you have the latest autoconf, automake, and gettext.
3) cd gnome-libs
4) ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/opt/gnome
5) make && make install

That's all you should need for gnucash, but if you want to play with
gnome apps (wanda the fish, panel, etc.) get gnome-core and:

6) cd gnome-core
7) PATH=/usr/local/opt/gnome/bin/:${PATH} \
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/opt/gnome/lib \
     ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/opt/gnome \
                  --with-gnome=/usr/local/opt/gnome
8) PATH=/usr/local/opt/gnome/bin/:${PATH} \
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/opt/gnome/lib make
9) when make fails, cd to each of the subdirs and do a
   PATH=/usr/local/opt/gnome/bin/:${PATH} \
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/opt/gnome/lib make

   and

   PATH=/usr/local/opt/gnome/bin/:${PATH} \
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/opt/gnome/lib make install

   for those directories where you can get it to succeed.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>