Re: MC and the desktop

> I'm wondering if there's another way to do this. Perhaps draw the icons on
> the root window direct? A lot of people like having lots of icons on their
> desktop, and if this is such a CPU hog then it will bring even a powerful
> system to its knees calculating say 50+ shaped windows.

It also depends on your X server.  For instance, IRIX 6.2 X server is
performing not very well compared to a recent XFree which does know
that computing shaped differences on a lowerd window is a waste of
time.

Drawing on the root window poses several other problems:  the icons
can be overwritten by any applications and colors can be replaced
under you as well.

The wm hints + a recent X server would fix this problem.

Also, you can choose not to use shaped windows by editing ~/.mc/ini
file.

cheers,
Miguel.