Re: icewm hints, etc...

On Mon, 18 May, 1998 at 10:05:27AM -0700, George set free these words:
> > Virtual desktops are (mostly) orthogonal to multiple desktops. (At least
> > they should be). I don't (wouldn't) use them (never did except initialy
> > while reconfuiguring fvwm). I haven't implemented them in icewm (yet). I
> > am not yet sure if any additional hints are needed to support them. I
> > have to look at fvwm.
>
> hoe about this ... window can be only once on a given desktop .... in
> any position the virtual desktop ... you can have a window on as many
> desktops as you want ... you also have a sticky flag which make sthe
> window sticky to screen and that window will allways be on the same
> screen position ....

This isn't as flexible as having a separate sticky flag per workspace, but I
don't know how much more useful that would be.... I don't know of any WM that
implements that currently and I do know that things I set sticky I usually do
want to travel with me wherever I go.  I suppose one time when I might want to
be able to exclude it from a certain workspace is if I was running a
full-screen game or other application there and the app was set to
StayOnTop.... (But this is just hypothetical, aside from the panel [which can
be explicitly rolled out of the way], I don't have anything that does
StayOnTop+Sticky.)

If it's a lot harder to implement, it probably isn't worth it... on the other
hand, if we code hints that don't allow for it, what happens when someone
codes their window manager to do exactly that?

> the fvwm virtual desktops just make a SINGLE desktop larger ... I don't
> see that large a problem in supporting it ... but there should be a
> difference between which desktops a window is on and if it's sticky as
> they are slightly different concepts

I agree, we definitely need to be able to handle both sticky and workspace
as separate concepts.

-Toshio

--
badger  \"Life is like a china candy dish, filled with brightly promising
@prtr-13 \ sweets, quickly empited.  lasts longer.  dropped.  it breaks."