Re: FW: HELP !!! Trouble with gnome-libs configure

Ed Davison <Ed.Davison@bus.utexas.edu> writes:
> Anyone on the list know the answer to this one?
> > I have libjpeg.a which contains jpec_create_compress and
> > jpeg_create_decompress which is what was needed for some
> > of the compiles.  I also have libjpeg.so.6.0.0 and libjpeg.so.6
> > which contains jpeg_CreateCompress and jpeg_CreateDecompress
> > which are not in the '.a' version.  I had to extract the latter 2 from
> > libjpeg.a and put them into the Makefile manually in order to
> > get a good compilation.
> >
> > I cannot find out where I got the .so version of libjpeg but can
> > quite easily find the .a version on the net.
> >
> > In any case, my more general question is, why is it that a program
> > would require or use both of these and yet not be able to load them
> > from the compiler if they are both in the ldconfig path and gcc LIBS
> > path?  Do I have mixed releases of libraries (like imlib) and the
> > program
> > that is using it?

You have a mismatched jpeglib.h/libjpeg.a/libjpeg.so.  If you fix that,
things will be fine.  You probably have to remove libjpeg.so -- since
that is looks to be the mismatched file.

Older versions of `jpeglib.h' declared `jpeg_create_compress', and the
corresponding library has the same symbol.

Newer versions of `jpeglib.h' have

  #define jpeg_create_compress(cinfo) \
      jpeg_CreateCompress((cinfo), JPEG_LIB_VERSION, \
                          (size_t) sizeof(struct jpeg_compress_struct))

and the corresponding library has `jpeg_CreateCompress'.  You are
probably compiling against an old `jpeglib.h' but linking against a new
`libjpeg.so'.

- Hari