incidental aesthetics of gtk/gnome [was Re: Links]

GTK is a beautiful widget set IMO.  However, a few things irk my eyes
when I look at it.  In KDE, there is a standard (quite thin) space
between scroll bars and their panes, which is uniform across the KDE
apps.  In gnome, this space varies from nearly none to as many as six
pixels, it seems.  Also, when the scroll bar takes focus, the black
outline jars with the bevel.  One more thing: the bevel-everywhere look
has grown on me, but for many things, such as the date and time on the
panel, I prefer no bevel.

Oh, oh.  One thing more, still: System 8 on the mac has its "platinum"
look, which is default now I believe.  The thing most appreciate about it
is the shade of grey it uses--very light.  In general, I like the widget
surfaces to have the quality of paper rather than of sheetmetal.  In
addition, the subtler effect of blonde or grey stone as default would
blend well with tigert's splendid icons.

Justin