Re: Compiling mc: libgnomeui.so: undefined reference to `dgettext'

>> Adding -lintl to the link line is the right fix.  But the
>> LIBS=... trick only works if the Makefile was written that way.  MC
>> doesn't use automake, so there's no guarantee it uses the same
>> convention.  I just looked, and in fact it doesn't.

Stephanos> Actually, it does.

My mistake.

Stephanos> And I do see it on the command line for gcc. I *still* get
Stephanos> the error. Again, this is when LINKING the binary, not when
Stephanos> compiling.

I know.

Stephanos> gcc [ ... ] -lX11 -lSM -lICE -lintl -lgpm -lintl
Stephanos> /usr/local/lib/libgnomeui.so: undefined reference to `dgettext'

This probably means your libintl is bad.  Take a look at it with nm.
If it doesn't define dgettext, then it is the wrong library.

Again, do you have an mc/intl directory?  Is there anything in it?  On
systems with a bad libintl, a working libintl should be built there.
What sort of system do you have?

Tom