Re: gnome on FreeBSD [procfs]...

| Um... what about netbsd, openbsd, solaris, irix, digital unix etc
| etc??

I don't care about them... I run FreeBSD, and getting gnome working with
it is all I care about. :)

| are you going to encourage their developers to modify them as
| well?

Yes.:)

[ Just to make it clear: yes, I am joking above... ]

| what makes you think the linux solution is right in the first
| place? (proc filesystem was designed for debuggers to get access to
| information about processes (hence the name), not for the kernel to
| expose such information--such a mechanism is neat but why in /proc?)

Good point.  I should think about such things more.

| I think a much more portable and workable solution, as has already
| been suggested, would be to have libgnome (or whatever) export some
| functions to get at this kind of information... and then libgnome
| would have some platform-specific code to handle it.

Yes... I agree.  If getting all this info is in a library, I will help
with|do the FreeBSD port of the library... and others if all goes well...

...jsled