Re: Compiling Jim Picks snapshots

On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 11:07:26AM -0500, Raja R Harinath wrote:
> Phil Dawes <philipd@parallax.co.uk> writes:
> > The only way I could get the various gnome modules to compile from Jim
> > Picks CVS snapshots (ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/gnome/snap) was to:
> >
> > 1) unpack the gnome-* snapshot
> > 2) unpack the Gnome-common snapshot
> > 3) copy all the autoconf input file type gubbins (macros folder, intl,
> > etc..) from gnome-common into the gnome-* snapshot.
>
> Right.

[snip]

> > implicitly copied when you check out the archive?
> Yes.  This is achieved by adding a line per module in the
> CVSROOT/modules file.

When I used to do CVS, I got a macros intl etc. directories in each
section (gnome-libs,gnome-blah,etc.)

However, I blew away my copy (it wasn't compiling right anymore, I think
it wasn't updating everything right), and followed the instructions from
the CVS Compile Howto on www.gnome.org
(http://www.dimensional.com/~dhawkins/GNOME/GNOME-compile-faq.html):
cvs checkout gnome-blah
.... etc...

then use:
cvs update -d

to update everything.  Well...I ended up with *everythine* including:
balsa.old and a linux source tree!

In addition, I got no macro intl or support folders...

So, what's the correct thing to do here?

You mention adding lines to CVSROOT/modules, but can you be more
specific?

I read the man pages, and they just say that "cvs update -d" will,
indeed, update everything on that CVS archive...

Thanks for any and all help.

Ciao!
docwhat@gerf.org