Compiling Jim Picks snapshots

The only way I could get the various gnome modules to compile from Jim
Picks CVS snapshots (ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/gnome/snap) was to:

1) unpack the gnome-* snapshot
2) unpack the Gnome-common snapshot
3) copy all the autoconf input file type gubbins (macros folder, intl,
etc..) from gnome-common into the gnome-* snapshot.
4) do aclocal, automake, autoconf (or something like that) (the
autogen.sh scripts didn't work)
5) configure, make etc.. as usual.

I've noticed that the redhat snapshots only require steps 4 and 5, and
the autogen.sh script does this for you. Am I doing something wrong, or
is this the best way of building gnome from Jim Picks stapshots?

How does the CVS repository do this? - are the things from gnome-common
implicitly copied when you check out the archive? (I can't access it
from behind my firewall so I can't test this out)

Cheers,

Phil.

 Phil Dawes                               |   My opinions are my own
 WWW:    err.. temporarily non-existant   |   and nothing to do with
 Email:  philipd@parallax.co.uk           |      my employer.