panel and fvwm pager: success and failure:

Well, I've got the pager loaded into the panel through a small
work around.  Maybe this report will help others do it too --
and maybe it'll help someone figure out why it doesn't work
entirely correctly:

The wrong way:
Compile panel w/ Swallow enabled.
Start an extra pager from the fvwm2 Menu.
Use the panel menu entry panel:add swallowed app
Enter the title of the pager: "Fvwm Pager"
Most of the time this generates a new panel entry that is
very small (one pixel?)
Sometimes it causes the panel to freeze, not taking input or output.
Once it caused the panel to crash out entirely.
All of these are accompanied by various warnings and errors that I
cannot remember.

The work around:
Start a pager from the fvwmrc startup.
Start a FvwmButtons in the same and swallow the pager into the Buttons.
Swallow the "FvwmButtons" module into the panel and viola!

My thinking is that the panel is looking for an owning window or parent or
something that the raw FvwmPager (as well as FvwmTalk and certain other
special programs)  does not have.  The FvwmButtons module, on the other hand,
does provide this something extra that allows the whole thing to be swallowed.

Good luck, all!
-Toshio
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."

PGP signature