Re: GMedia ramblings... (corba!)

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Mark Galassi wrote:

>     Phil> I was just wondering (get ready to flame me ;-) if you might
>     Phil> think about implementing the shared library back-end through
>     Phil> corba interfaces.
>
> I tend to agree with Phil: doing it with corba interfaces would allow
> for more interesting future expansions and integration with apps than
> going it with shared libraries.

Seeing that I dont' want to use MICO (for reasons which are common to all of
the Gnome project), and ORBit isn't ready yet, I'll start off with the
shared library approach. Anyway, you never see the shared library stuff
anyway. This is an example:

	media = gnome_media_new ();
	gtk_widget_show (media);
	gnome_media_load( media, "my_mod_file.mod" );
	gnome_media_play(NULL);
	gnome_media_wait();
	gnome_media_load( media, "my_movie.mpeg" );
	gnome_media_play(NULL);
	gnome_media_wait();

The NULL in gnome_media_play is a callback function which is called when
the file is finished, because the play function is asynchronous.

gnome_media_load automatically takes care of finding a suitable backend,

Tristan
--
Tristan Tarrant                                          ttarrant@etnoteam.it
Il mondo si divide in due categorie: |The world is divided in two categories: