Re: ./autogen.sh: Can't find gdk_imlib and tiff :(

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Walter Mueller wrote:

> > Can somebody help me? (or fix the source)
> My shared tiff library needs to be linked with libjpeg und libz.
> The test for libtiff fails because of teh missing libraries and as a
> result the test for libglib fails because it needs libtiff
> ! AC_CHECK_LIB(tiff, main, [TIFF_LIBS="-ltiff"; AC_DEFINE(HAVE_LIBTIFF)])
>   AC_CHECK_LIB(gif, main, [GIF_LIBS="-lgif"; AC_DEFINE(HAVE_LIBGIF)], ,$GTK_LIBS $X_LIBS $x_libs)

I think in recent versions of automake/autoconf, at least on my Linux box,
it is incorrect to test for main when checking a library, because it checks
if the function can be used without linking the function first, and, if it
fails, it tries to use the library. Thus, in this case, it tries to define
main, link without tiff, sees that it works anyway, and ignores libtiff
completely. I changed this in CVS a while ago, so it should check for real
functions withing the libs.

Tristan
--
Tristan Tarrant                                          ttarrant@etnoteam.it
- Sei. Numero perfetto.              |- Six. Perfect number.