Re: Misc. comments

On 10 May, Chris Evans shouted:
->
->  Hi!
->
->  Just tried out some latest GNOME snapshots -- nice. Here's some comments.
->
->  1) Has someone broken the  CVS sources? Daily updates at
->  ftp.labs.redhat.com appear to have ceased.
->
->  2) I was a bit disgruntled about the way things communicate with the
->  panel. Using a "localhost inet socket" is Bad News(tm) for workstations,
->  because I don't/can't use networking and hence have no devices configured.
->  Took me a while to figure out why I couldn't add applets to the panel!
->
->  The proper way would be to use a UNIX domain socket. That would also be
->  more secure. If we want things attaching to the panel over the  network
->  then fine -- listen on an inet socket too. Like X does.
->
->
->  3) This is a gtk thing I suppose, but anyway... when detatching eg. a
->  menubar from an application, so it becomes its own borderless window,
->  there is a very annoying jerk where the the box appears miles away from
->  where you picked it up. This is on even quite fast hardware. Perhaps gtk
->  isn't making full use of window manager hints?

it needs to set the user specified position flags in the hints.

->  4) On the subject of dragging things, if I drag eg. a folder from gmc, it
->  doesn't land exactly where I drop it. Quite annoying.
->
->
->  I have also been afflicted by some of the problems on the "what needs
->  fixing" page, but they are clearly known.
->
->  I can see GNOME will be a fine desktop, and will try and find some time to
->  code some fixes/etc. myself!
->
->  Cheers
->  Chris