Re: Suggestion: Changing mouse pointers

On 10 May, d4hult@dtek.chalmers.se shouted:
->
->  I haven't seen this in the archives or any TODO-list, so here we go:
->
->  It would be very nice to be able to change the mouse pointer (or
->  perhaps cursors is the right term?). I think it looks kind of weird with
->  the right-facing pointer over the panel. This maybe could be
->  incorporated in the Mouse Configuration dialog?
->
->  If it is possible to change the pointer over the root window, that
->  would be very nice too, I don't like the cross that seems to be the
->  standard pointer there. I know that it's possible, but some people told
->  me that it's not a thing you would want to do, for some reason that I
->  didn't quite catch...

xsetroot -cursor_name name_of cursor (see X.h for cursor names)
eg:
xsetroot -cursor_name hand2

or xsetroot -cursor image.xbm mask.xbm

man xsetroot for more :)

->  It strikes me that this may be depending on the particular window
->  manager that is used, but then again, could this be part of the
->  gnome-ifying of wms? That they can take hints from gnome about what
->  pointers to use?

window managers (some) will set the cursor for their own windows and
their decorations.. if a program does nto set a cursor it inherits the
corsor form its parent window (normally a window manager frame) and
thus gets a different cursor. some window managers will even set the
root cursor for you.

->  What do you say?
->
->  Richard