Re: The Mascot + Well Deserved Praise + small project ideas

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > It just occurred to me that you should be able to have multiple fish, with
> > different names - this will require breaking the existing config file, so
> > don't get too attached to your settings. Remember, GNOME Fish is
> > alpha software!
>
> I like this idea.  We should providea a themable fish.  Just like the
> email applet, we need different frames.  Speaking of which, I probably
> want a tropical fish.

It's pretty slick how the panel automatically allows multiple instances of
applets each with their own config. I had no idea. Go George!

It would maybe be nice to have a GnomeAnim widget, which would take a list
of image filenames or a list of pixmaps, and a speed, and a
loop-once/loop-continuously flag. That would make it easier to write the
applet with the image customizable (and would be useful in other places
too; we could have stock anims for standard operations, like file copy,
for example).

Another library thing that might be useful: a way to get free memory, CPU
load, etc., like proc.[hc] which looks like it's cut-and-pasted in at
least two places (an applet and gtop). I could also use it in guname, and
probably there are other places. Just a thought, nothing to do with the
fish... well, the fish could swim slower as your CPU gets bogged down...
perhaps that will happen anyway... ;-)

Final thought du jour: a frontend to hwclock, for setting the time, the
clock applet could have a menu item to pop this up...

Three ideas for anyone lurking that wants something to do.

Havoc Pennington ==== http://pobox.com/~hp