Re: Postscript, printing?

Hideki Fujimoto wrote:

> From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
> Subject: Re: Postscript, printing?
> Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 10:13:05 -0500
>
> miguel> > I am not sure, but I havethe feeling that no printing or postscript library
> miguel> > exists in gnome (and gtk).
> miguel>
> miguel> You are correct.  I assume that every application that does printing
> miguel> will generate the Postscript that suits them.  Should we have a
> miguel> library of Postscript thingies around?
>
> Althought gtkDPS exist, it dosen't supply printing method.
> But DPS/DGS perhaps supply these method.
>
> BTW:
> Is there  a replacement of "Microsoft Windows Printing System" ?

Since GTK[GDK] is based on X, has anyone considered using the
X Print extensions [XPRINT], perhaps underneath GDK/GTK?  XPRINT
is free (pre R6.4), supports printers other than PostScript (PCL),
and my (meager) understanding is that you can render to a
"printer device context" using standard X calls, so GDK/GTK
should fit nicely on top of it.

See xp_library.PS.Z and  xp_proto.PS.Z under
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.2/untarred/xc/doc/hardcopy/XPRINT/

Also,
  $ more /usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions/Print.h
  $ which Xprt

-Jamie

[p.s. Excuse me if this was already suggested, I'm new here.]
[p.p.s Ignore first post if this gets posted twice. ]