Compile Error in help-browser

Hi!

I've been wanting to play around with GNOME, and have gotten the source.
I've been making slow and steady progress in getting all to build up to
gnome-core (gtk+ 1.0.0 RPM doesn't work, symlinking gtk.m4, getting deps
to work, etc.), but I've hit an impasse I can't figure out.

When building gnome-core, the build dies in help-browser: misc.c.  The
error? "gzopen", "gzread", and "gzclose" not defined!  I've even verified
that #include <zlib.h> is still there, and my zlib.h (in /usr/include)
defines those functions.

I don't have the box in front of me, so I don't have a lot of specifics,
but it's a Red Hat 5.0 box with most of the updates.  I've installed
automake 1.3 and libtool 1.0h (from support on ftp.labs.redhat.com).

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm hankering to start coding!  If you need
more info, let me know (offline if desired, to not take up bandwidth on
the list).