Hello, help

Greetings, all!

I've got a tetris-like game I'd like to port to
Gnome/GTK (its cooler than plain tetris, though;
just wait...)  First things first, I need to get
gnome-libs going.  Please be patient, I like to
think I'm a half-decent coder, but I'm quite
clueless when it comes to automake, etc.

So I grabbed the latest gnome-libs out of cvs,

  setenv CVSROOT
':pserver:anonymous@cvs.gnome.org:/debian/home/gnomecvs'
  cvs login
  cvs -z3 checkout gnome-libs

Fine so far.  I read gnome-libs/HACKING, and decided I would need to run
autogen.sh to build my configure script,

  ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local

This kind of blew up on me:

  `aclocal' will also look in `macros'
  You should add the contents of `/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4'
  `aclocal.m4'.
  aclocal: configure.in: 23: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in
library
  aclocal: configure.in: 24: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library
  (... several lines more warnings ...)
  support/Makefile.am:447: BUILD_GNOME_SUPPORT does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
  support/Makefile.am:462: @LTLIBOBJS@ seen but never set in
`configure.in'
  (... several lines more warnings ...)
  running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --prefix=/usr/local
  creating cache ./config.cache
  ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
  ./configure: ./configure: line 523: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'

Ouch.  I was about to add libtool.m4 to aclocal.m4, but I found no
aclocal.m4.  Where is the definition of AM_CONFIG_HEADER supposed to
come from?

My system setup is as follows:
i486, RedHat 5.0 plus a few patches, including these specific
packages:

  autoconf-2.12-3 (rpm)
  automake-1.3-1 (rpm)
  gettext-0.10-5 (rpm)
  libtool-1.2 (.tar.gz)  ]
  guile-1.2 (.tar.gz)    ]  All of these are installed under
  imlib-1.3 (.tar.gz)    ]  /usr/local
  gtk+-1.0.0 (.tar.gz)   ]

I thought I had all the right pieces.
Anyone want to toss me a clue?