Re: Sound Events and The Enlightened Sound Daemon

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Zach Brown wrote:

> there is a really cool synth style app in the works that does cool
> realtime mixing and effects processing and such.. it needs low latency,
> but can't know whats going to be mixed ahead of time..

As for what NAS does, I'm not sure about that.  However, esd is still in
development...which is good in this case.  I'm currently helping the
primary author of esd to get the esd code into the CVS.  This "don't even
attempt to cache this audio stream" is a pretty decent idea.

Also, Alan Cox also brought up a decent point that a fast lossless
compression added to esd would be nice for those who want to pump 44100 Hz
16-bit stereo audio down the old pipe... ;)

As for my personal preference.  I like esd because it sounds better.  When
I played with NAS, the sound just broke up.  With esd, it's smoother, but
it seems to add a nasal hiss to the final mixed output, but that, I think,
is easily remedied.

And I'd really like to know what this synth app is...sounds interesting.
;)

Take care,
Mark Crichton