Re: Internationalization

On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 07:51:00AM +0200, Dewit Gert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can somebody tell me if there is something done about
> internationalization for the gnome project ?
> Maybe it's time to start some pages about it on www.gnome.org so that
> developers are aware of the
> provisions they have to take in their programs.
> We should get some kind of organization for the translations, a standard

IMHO what is needed is standard way of translating gnome terminology to
each language. Examples can be found from other Linux translation initiatives.
We (Finnish Gnome Guys = FGG) are going to put some pages about translating
gnome to Finnish, that will help future finnish translators in their task.

> way of handling strings,
> a central message repositry, ...
>
> It's a great way to get non-programmers (the people who should start
> using our stuff instead of those
> GUI's from the evil empire) involved.

True. My personal goal is that my parents could use Linux extensively,
unfortunately it needs "Easy-to-use" and translated GUI.

Ville