Re: File system standard?

>> Is there a file system standard that specifies where gnome is to be
>> installed?  I got the nightly RPMs and everything was installed in
>> /usr.  If X is in /usr/X11R6, and CDE is in /usr/dt, and Openwindows
>> is in /usr/openwin, then shouldn't gnome be in /usr/gnome?
>
>I personally preffer /opt/gnome.  /opt works fine with systems like
>opt-depot which is used on large system installations.

I agree, the KDE rpms install everything into /opt/kde, this makes finding
things very easy.  I'm writing a program that uses gtk, and considering
'gnomifying' it. I have a png icon and a .desktop file for the panel, but I find
no easy way of locating where to install them to the locations gnome requires.

Right now my system (from the May 2 RPM snapshots) has the icons in
/usr/share/pixmaps and the desktop files in /usr/share/apps/

Where are the user's *.desktop files to go? Since the system's are not in a path
named /usr/share/gnome/apps I'm guessing they will be in home/apps and not
home/gnome/apps. As no apps directory has been created in my home path, I'm
assuming user .desktop files have not been implemented yet.

As to installing a link to a program for the panel. A small program modelled
after gtk-config would be nice. For example, if an installation script could run
    'gnome-config --pixmaps'
to find the directory for the pixmaps (return /usr/share/pixmaps) and
    'gnome-config --apps'
to find where to install the *.desktop file for the program, non-gnome programs
(those not included in the main gnome distribution) would have an easy way for
finding these directories.

Not all people will like or use /opt/gnome, and will use /usr and /usr/local. A
simple program like gnome-config would allow easy installation of additional
programs no matter where gnome is located.

--
John Ellis <gqview@geocities.com>
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/5235/