Re[1]: Writing panel applets?

>>> gnome-list-request@gnome.org  Sun May  3 13:27:10 1998 seems to think that:
>>> I think mailcheck, and even cpuload would benefit from this too,
>>> since mailcheck would like to launch/talk to balsa, (or whatever),
>>> and the cpumeter would probably like to launch gtop (or whatever).
>>> The clock might want to launch the calendar.  See the pattern?
>
>George> most likely I would put this in the right click menu
>George> .... which is easy to add to ... so you see new mail .. so you
>George> right click and select "launch balsa" or something ... same
>George> thing with the cdplayer applet, clock, mixer, whatever ...
>

>This is another area where CORBA is appropriate.
>
>For instance, you might want to use the mailcheck applet but a mailer
>other than balsa.  Or balsa might already be running (meaning that
>launching a new one would be inappropriate).
>
>The idea is simply to centralize use preferences for tools and the
>launching of tools.

Yes.  The smaller the "hello world" applet, the easier it is for
confused programmers like me to add new applets. :)

>Then the mail check applet could request the mail reader object
>(launched if required), and then send a message asking that mail be
>read.
  [ ... ]

The only problem w/ a corba interface like that is if you choose to
use emacs/gnuclient style launching.  While there is a corba interface
builder for emacs lisp, pine does not.    (Unless there are wrapper
objects I suppose)

It may be that a default feature of gnome is to identify an already
running copy of itself (the app linking gnome), and forward
instructions.  Does gnome_init know everything it needs to do this?
Do we dare assume a user would want this behavior?  Hmmm.

-Eric

--
|\/\/\___/\/\/|  Eric Ludlam                 zappo@gnu.org; zappo@ultranet.com
\____ o o ____/  Homepage:                      http://www.ultranet.com/~zappo