Re: compilation trouble

>> I've tried compiling the CVS gnome for three days (with daily
>> updates); I keep getting the same problem trying to configure
>> gnome-libs:

Sadly, I'll never know when somebody discovers the answer to a
question in the mailing list archives, because of course they won't
write to the list to say, "I found the answer".  Bummer.

So once more, with feeling:

>> aclocal: configure.in: 41: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library

This typically means that you configured aclocal with a different
--prefix than the one you gave to gtk.

This is a reasonable thing to do, mostly.

The fix is to symlink (don't copy!  You want it to auto-update with
reinstalls) gtk.m4 from wherever it is (<gtk-prefix>/share/aclocal) to
where aclocal wants it to be (<aclocal-prefix>/share/aclocal).

>> Another possibly related problem:
>> Even after a "cat /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 >>aclocal.m4", I keep
>> getting the "You should add the contents of..." message.

Ignore this message.

Tom