Re: Drag 'N' Drop Protocol (?!)

>> Also, I just want to say that I hope were using the Xdnd protocol.
>> It may be techinally inferior to Xde, but it's 1) non-proprietary,
>> 2) an open standard, and 3) the protocol in use by the KDE project.

Miguel> We are using Xde.

Miguel> 1. I do not understand your definition of `proprietary'.  If
Miguel>    your definition of proprietary is `you do not use what
Miguel>    someone else mandated', then, all of gnome is proprietary
Miguel>    (including the DnD).

Miguel> 2. What defines an `Open standard'?

Miguel> 3. Gtk+ is very probably going to implement the OSF/1 DnD
Miguel>    protocol, and we will switch to that when it is made
Miguel>    available.  Wonder if you consider this one also
Miguel>    `proprietary'.

I agree the proprietariness (in the sense in which I'm used to using
it -- words like this are vague) is not something we have to worry
about here.  We (presumably) have the specs to all 3 DND protocols,
which is all we need.

But I think I understand what he is getting at.  The real issue is
that DND is all about interoperability.  If everybody else uses a
different DND protocol from Gtk/Gnome, then that is one more barrier
to mixing Gnome applications with applications from other sources.

I haven't read the various DND specs, so I can't comment on the
inferiority or superiority of the schemes.  Would it be possible for
us to interoperate with all forms of DND?  This would seem to be the
ideal course.

Derek> Anyway, this whole discussion may be in vain: What is the
Derek> declared DnD protocol of the Gnome project?!

I imagine Gnome will just follow Gtk.

Tom