Re: development of gnome application

At 10:03 PM 3/26/98 +0900, Hideki Fujimoto wrote:

>hideki> I want to know the merite to write gnome application
>hideki> on the side of developer.
>
>No follow! umm ...
>
>Does it means that Gnome framework don't make developers
>happy ?

Are you asking what the advantages are for the application developer to use
GNOME? There are many.

1. Very cross-platform. Gtk (and gnome too) go to great lengths to wrap
tricky bits of code into portable functions.

2. I18N. Although English is my primary language, I think this stuff rocks.
I like to compile GNOME in french for kicks. :) GNOME is designed for I18N
from the ground up.

3. Integration. A GNOME app has access to all of the great functionality
the GNOME desktop provides. This includes integrated help, session
management, "recently used" history, config-file support, the "stock"
pixmaps and buttons, and much more.

4. CORBA. This was such a buzz-word to me until recently. CORBA will allow
GNOME-compliant apps to seamlessly interoperate (among other things.) I
like knowing that clicking on "volume" in my mpeg player will automagically
run my favorite mixer util without prior knowledge of the connection in
either app.

5. Themeability. Check out <http://www.labs.redhat.com/themes.shtml> for a
peek at what the future holds for GNOME in the looks department. A GNOME
app written in gtk will automatically get the themes support. IMHO, not a
big deal, but apparently the drool factor on this is immense.

6. Pick your language. You can code a GNOME app in C, C++, scheme, python,
perl, or ObjectiveC. I am betting GNOME will get more of the
scripting/coding gurus than those desktops that only support one or two
languages.:)

So does GNOME make a developer happy? Well, this application developer is
ecstatic.

M.Watson redline@pdq.net