RE: Palette hogging (X11R6.4)

On 26-Mar-98 David Kastrup wrote:

>Hi!
>Another thing that might be nice to have (but I don't know which
>component would be resposible for that) is smart allocation of
>additional colour maps.  By this I mean some mechanism that tries to
>allocate similar colours to the same indices in multiple colour maps.
>That way, switching the colour maps when going between windows would
>not be as eye-jarring an experience as it is often now.
on this note id like to draw attention to X11R6.4
http://www.camb.opengroup.org/tech/desktop/x/
whose release notes mention the colormap utilization policy that
appears to do pretty much this, and minimize colormap flashing, i
believe that xfree is a member of the x project team ?, so this
tech should be available for the free software community eventually.
if anything is going to be done internally to gnome to do something
similiar it would be good to keep it consistent with the cup

C.

Real Life: Caolan McNamara           *  Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie          *  Phone: +353-61-202699
Accept advice