Re: LaTeX widget?

You wrote:

    D> In one window you will have the clear Latex source and
    D> in another window the compiled LaTeX code is displayed
    D> directly. I don't know if there is a hook
    D> in LaTeX to tell "please render only those lines
    D> affected by the newly entered character".

    You should definately post to comp.text.tex if you want to do this.
    I know that some TeX systems on other platforms do this, but I
    don't know how exactly.  The wizards in that newsgroup will know.

I don't know of any other TeX implementation that does this (although
I'd be glad if somebody would correct me).

There are two programs available with a similar effect:

- Scientific Word is a commercial Windows/Mac word proccessor that
does WYSIWYG based on TeX algorithms.

- InstantTeX is a suite for Nextstep that continuously loops your
current document through TeX in the background. You edit your TeX
document in one window and get the visual feedback a few moments later
in the preview window.

Then, there are two half-finished projects that I came across, that
try to implement this incremental compiling:

- inctex/vortex (incremental TeX, sources can be found on the CTAN
archives), based on an ancient unix tex distribution.

- some work based on `checkpointing'. Interesting, but it didn't work
for Linux yet.

Both projects seem to be stalled. At least, they are far away from
the mainstream TeX development. The TeX engine itself doesn't support
this.

	Gregor