Re: Joint project mailing list?

Phil> I was just wondering, has anybody thought about setting up a
Phil> joint mailing list with the KDE lot?

This has come up a couple times, but we haven't done anything about
it.

I recommend we do the following:

1. Create a new mailing list for collaboration.
   I think the specific areas where collaboration would be most
   fruitful are in inter-application communication; namely, the
   development of CORBA interfaces, session management, and window
   manager protocols.  So I think that is where we should target the
   mailing list initially.

   I don't have a particularly good name for the list.  Any
   suggestions?  How about something bland like
   "desktop-collaboration"?

2. We should send an Official Gnome Invitation to the appropriate KDE
   lists.  I think that as our esteemed leader, Miguel should send the
   invite.  If there are individual KDE hackers who we know to be
   working in the "interesting" areas, we should also send them
   personal invitations.

Here's a stab at the sort of text I think we should send:

   Dear KDE developers:

   In the interest of collaboration and interoperation between KDE
   and Gnome, we've created a new mailing list, <fixme>.

   We intend the new list to be for the discussion of how KDE and
   Gnome could better work together.  In particular we are interested
   in the areas of CORBA interfaces, session management, and window
   manager protocols.  However, the discussion is by no means limited
   to just those areas -- any sort of KDE/Gnome interoperation should
   be open for discussion.

   We invite all KDE developers interested in discussion and
   cross-fertilization to join the list.

		<some official-looking signature>

Comments, edits, etc, solicited.

Of course, we should create the mailing list before sending this out.

Tom