Re: updates?

J> 	Yeah IMHO Ea is not that great of an idea because when you
J> copy files in the shell they get tend to get messed up in the GUI.

OTOH, if ext2fs supports them, they the attributes should move along
with the files....

J> For instance, I think that having split screened
J> apps was a good idea in the shell, were space was limited and it
J> wasn't easy to draw ascii art windows, however, I think that it's
J> better to have multiple overlapping windows in X.

I used to use an Amiga all the time.  Both of these paradigms were
prevalent in Amiga file managers.  Interestingly enough, the most
popular ones used a split-screen approach.  I think DOpus eventually
allows split-screen and multiple windows, but for the longest time it
didn't.

In defense of split-screens, there's a lot of good ways you can use
it.  It can be much easier than hassling with lots of windows popping
up and down, into and out of focus.  Many operations are naturally
done with two operands, so the split screen gives you a good way of
speifying those operands.

In the end, I think it's a matter of personal taste and Gnome MC
should ideally allow both.  After all, I use Emacs and I don't like
having a frame open for each file... it's much easier just to switch
buffers when I need to.  Of course, it's really _much_ easier to
switch buffers than your example....

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
"I am Carson of Borg. Hah! This is soooo futile <'how futile is it?'&lt;"