Re: GTK Netscape is impossible

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Janne Moren wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Carl Thompson wrote:
>
> <About LGPL allowing use by proprietary software>
>
> > (Technically, though, Netscape IS in violation of the LGPL because they
> > do not provide source code to the LGPLed libraries that they use nor do
> > provide access to it on their FTP site or by other means.)
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Carl Thompson
>
> I thought that the 'availability' requirement merely gives the developers
> of the proprietary software an obligation to tell its customers where they
> can find the LGPL:ed components (by giving an URL to a site, for example).
> Any comments on this?

It is my impression from the LGPL and from dialog with Richard Stallman that
developers of programs that use LGPLed libraries must themselves provide
access to the library source code.  In any case, I am not certain of any
place where the Netscape mentions them at all.  It is certainly not mentioned
in the "about:" information where one would expect it.

Later,
Carl Thompson