Re: Compiling

Wesley Griffin writes:
 > I'm sorry I have to ask what seems to me to be a very newbie/FAQ question, if
 > someone can point me to a FAQ that answers this, just let me know.  I've just
 > checked out the source for gnome, and am attempting to compile it.  I can get
 > gnome-libs and mico to compile but I'm not sure what to compile from there or
 > in what order.  I would really like to start helping with gnome development
 > and would like to get some sort of system up and running, so if anyone could
 > help me out it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

I feel your pain.

Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> recently posted the following
chart of module dependencies.  So, pick a package that you want to
compile (e.g. the panel), and check it out, and every package it
depends on.  Compile and install them, one by one.  To do this, you
have to cd into the source directory and run ./autogen.sh then make,
except for imlib, which needs these commands:

aclocal
automake --add-missing
autoconf
./configure
make

If you find that a library is missing, you should remove ./config.cache
and re-run ./configure, otherwise configure will never discover that
you've installed the library.  Good luck, have fun!

  mico     gtk+   gdk_imlib
    |	    |       |
    |       +---+---+
    |       	|
    |       gnome-libs
    |        |   |
    |        |   +---+------------+
    |        |    gnome-objc  gnome-guile
 gnome-core   |    gnome-utils    |   gnome-graphics  |   gnome-games
          gnome-media       gnome-network        gnome-admin

You will have to update everything a module depends on and test it out.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson